Meghan Markle and Prince Harry call on voters to ‘reject hate speech’ and ‘misinformation’
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle are urging Americans to vote this November, saying the country must “reject hate speech” and “misinformation.”
“Every four years, we’re told the same thing: that this is the most important election of our lifetime,” Markle, the Duchess of Sussex, said Tuesday in a video that aired as part of a “Time 100” TV special on ABC. “But this one is.”
“As we approach this November, it’s vital that we reject hate speech, misinformation and online negativity,” Prince Harry said.
The 36-year-old royal family member — who along with his American-born actress wife left his full-time work at the House of Windsor earlier this year, moving from Britain to California — noted how he won’t be able to head to the ballot box himself.
“This election, I’m not going to be able to vote here in the U.S. But many of you may not know that I haven’t been able to vote in the U.K. my entire life,” the prince said.
According to Prince Harry’s official website, as head of state, Queen Elizabeth and her family must “remain strictly neutral with respect to political matters, unable to vote or stand for election.”
“When we vote, our values are put into action and our voices are heard,” Markle said in the couple’s video message. “Your voice is a reminder that you matter, because you do, and you deserve to be heard.”
“As we work to reimagine the world around us,” Markle added, “let’s challenge ourselves to build communities of compassion.”
The Hill has removed its comment section, as there are many other forums for readers to participate in the conversation. We invite you to join the discussion on Facebook and Twitter.