Meghan Markle lawsuit against newspaper to be delayed until fall 2021
© Getty Images

A British judge ruled in favor of delaying a trial for the invasion of privacy lawsuit that Meghan MarkleMeghan MarklePrince Harry criticized for appearing to link Mother Nature's punishment with pandemic The Hill's 12:30 Report: How to celebrate Thanksgiving safely Meghan Markle, duchess of Sussex, reveals miscarriage MORE and her husband Prince Harry filed against a British tabloid in early October, according to The Associated Press.

Judge Mark Warby granted the delay, which would shift the trial date by about nine months to the fall of 2021. The exact date has not yet been set, according to The Associated Press.

“My conclusion is that the right decision in all the circumstances is to grant the application,” Warby said, according to Reuters. “That means that the trial date of January 11, 2021 will be vacated and the trial will be refixed for a new date in the autumn.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Warby said at a private hearing that the reason for the delay will remain confidential, Reuters reported.

The couple filed a lawsuit against Associated Newspapers, which owns the Mail on Sunday, after it published parts of a private letter that Markle wrote. The lawsuit cited "the misuse of private information, infringement of copyright and breach of the Data Protection Act 2018."

"Though this action may not be the safe one, it is the right one," Harry said at the time. "Because my deepest fear is history repeating itself. I’ve seen what happens when someone I love is commoditized to the point that they are no longer treated or seen as a real person. I lost my mother and now I watch my wife falling victim to the same powerful forces."

Harry's mother, Princess Diana, was the subject of aggressive news coverage throughout her life. She died in an auto accident in 1997 while her car was being followed by paparazzi. 

Markle and Harry announced earlier this year that they would forfeit their royal duties and titles