NCAA in talks to host all of March Madness in Indianapolis
© Getty Images

The NCAA announced on Monday that it will be holding the entire 2021 men’s basketball tournament in one location due to the complications caused by the coronavirus pandemic.

The organization is currently in talks with Indianapolis and its surrounding metro area to be the location of its March Madness tournament, ESPN reports.

“My committee colleagues and I did not come lightly to the difficult decision to relocate the preliminary rounds of the 2021 tournament, as we understand the disappointment 13 communities will feel to miss out on being part of March Madness next year," said Mitch Barnhart, chair of the Division I Men's Basketball Committee.

ADVERTISEMENT

In its announcement, the NCAA said sending teams across the country would create logistical issues while also risking the potential spread of the coronavirus. As ESPN notes, the NCAA is dead set on hosting a tournament this year as it lost $375 million due to last year’s tournament cancellation.

“We have learned so much from monitoring other successful sporting events in the last several months, and it became clear it's not feasible to manage this complex championship in so many different states with the challenges presented by the pandemic," said Dan Gavitt, the NCAA's senior vice president of basketball.

He added, “However, we are developing a solid plan to present a safe, responsible and fantastic March Madness tournament unlike any other we've experienced.”

In a similar move to slow the spread of COVID-19, Indiana State University announced on Monday that only players' family members and essential personnel will be allowed to attend home games until the end of the year.

Indiana, like many states, recently broke its record for most cases reported in a day when more than 8,000 were reported on Nov. 14. Indiana Gov. Eric Holcomb (R) announced last week that restrictions would be reimposed in light of rising hospitalizations and deaths.