Dwayne Johnson on presidential bid: ‘Up to the people’
Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson is still considering making a White House bid, saying his choice whether to run for president will be “up to the people.”
The pro wrestler-turned-actor has long flirted with bounding into the political ring.
In an interview with USA Today this week while promoting his new NBC sitcom, “Young Rock,” the 48-year-old performer said politics could still be calling his name.
“I would consider a presidential run in the future if that’s what the people wanted,” he told the paper.
“Truly I mean that, and I’m not flippant in any way with my answer,” Johnson added.
In his new TV series premiering Tuesday that’s based on his life, Johnson reportedly mounts a presidential run in the year 2032.
In real life, the “Jumanji” star said launching a campaign to become commander in chief “would be up to the people.”
“So I would wait, and I would listen. I would have my finger on the pulse, my ear to the ground,” he said.
Johnson said in a 2017 interview that there was a “real possibility” he would make a White House run.
While he’s said in the past that he’s a registered independent, Johnson spoke at the Republican National Convention in 2000 and endorsed then-Democratic presidential nominee Joe Biden in last year’s presidential race.