Buckingham Palace announced that it is launching an investigation following accusations by a former aide that Meghan MarkleMeghan MarkleHarry and Meghan join celeb-filled vaccine equity event Royal family supports BLM movement, senior representative says Culture editor Emily Jashinsky says groups like Time's Up pose conflicts of interest MORE, the duchess of Sussex, bullied staff.
Royal officials said in a statement on Wednesday that Buckingham Palace is “clearly very concerned” about the allegations and that its “HR team will look into the circumstances involved," according to reports.
“Members of staff involved at the time, including those who have left the Household, will be invited to participate to see if lessons can be learned,” the palace said, adding that it “does not and will not tolerate bullying or harassment in the workplace.
The British publication The Times on Tuesday reported that former communications secretary Jason Knauf filed a bullying complaint in 2018, claiming that Meghan "drove two personal assistants out of the household and was undermining the confidence of a third staff member."
A spokesperson for the duke and duchess of Sussex said in a statement to The Hill on Wednesday that Meghan is “saddened by this latest attack on her character, particularly as someone who has been the target of bullying herself and is deeply committed to supporting those who have experienced pain and trauma."
A spokesperson for the couple called the Times’s report “a calculated smear campaign based on misleading and harmful misinformation,” NBC News reported.
The allegations were reported days before a highly anticipated CBS interview with Meghan and her husband, Prince Harry. The couple is expected to address their decision to step back from royal life during the sit-down with Oprah WinfreyOprah Gail WinfreyCourt rules Prince Philip's will to remain sealed for 90 years Piers Morgan joining News Corp., will host new show on Fox Nation Royal family supports BLM movement, senior representative says MORE.
The couple officially informed Queen Elizabeth that they would not continue as working members of the royal family last month following a 12-month review of their roles.