Harvey Weinstein extradited to California to face more charges
© Getty Images

Disgraced former Hollywood executive Harvey Weinstein has been extradited to California to face more charges for sexual assault, the New York Post’s Page Six reported on Tuesday.

Weinstein, 69, is already serving a 23-year-sentence in New York after being convicted of rape and sexual assault charges in February of last year.

A spokesperson for the New York Department of Corrections and Community Supervision told the Post that Weinstein left the Wende Correctional Facility in upstate New York and was handed over to California authorities following a court order.

ADVERTISEMENT

Weinstein faces 11 additional counts of rape, sexual battery and other charges stemming from incidents involving five Los Angeles-area women. If convicted, Weinstein will face up to 140 years to life, according to the Post. 

His attorney Norman Effman argued to a New York court last month that the former movie mogul shouldn’t be extradited due to his declining health.

Weinstein, one of the most prominent figures to face accusation as part of the "Me Too" movement, had denied any wrongdoing, saying all his sexual encounters have been consensual.

Elizabeth Fegan, an attorney for one of his accusers, applauded the extradition. 

“The opportunity to hold Weinstein accountable for his actions in California gives voice to the survivors including my client, Jane Doe 4. They deserve to be heard and to have Weinstein answer for his actions," Fegan said in a statement. 

"Our hope is that a guilty verdict in California will ensure that Harvey Weinstein will spend the rest of his life behind bars — securing justice for women everywhere. “

The Hill has reached to the the New York Department of Corrections and Community Supervision for more information. 

—Updated at 1:41 p.m.