Comedian Larry David and late-night talk show hosts David Letterman and Conan O’Brien were reportedly among the celebrities cut from former President ObamaBarack Hussein ObamaObama pays tribute to Merkel Supreme Court agrees to review Texas's 6-week abortion ban Youngkin to launch bus tour on same day as Obama, McAuliffe event in Virginia MORE’s 60th birthday bash in Martha’s Vineyard this weekend after his team scaled back the event due to concerns about the delta variant.
The New York Times reported that the celebration, which includes a Friday night birthday kickoff and a main event at Obama’s $12 million mansion Saturday, will no longer have a number of A-list celebrities who were previously extended an invitation.
Among those reportedly removed from the guest list were Obama’s former White House senior adviser David AxelrodDavid AxelrodBiden giving stiff-arm to press interviews The Memo: Democrats vent frustration with Biden on Afghanistan Psaki dismisses Axelrod's criticism of Biden on Afghanistan MORE, along with a large number of former Obama administration officials.
Others had already pulled out of the event as the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) ramped up its warnings that vaccinated individuals may transmit the delta variant to unvaccinated individuals in some cases, and that the highly transmissible strain of COVID-19 was as contagious as chickenpox.
According to two sources familiar with the planning, Oprah WinfreyOprah Gail WinfreyCourt rules Prince Philip's will to remain sealed for 90 years Piers Morgan joining News Corp., will host new show on Fox Nation Royal family supports BLM movement, senior representative says MORE and filmmaker Ava DuVernay had already decided not to attend Obama’s birthday party due to delta variant concerns.
The White House also previously announced that President BidenJoe BidenHow 'Buy American', other pro-US policies can help advocates pass ambitious climate policies Overnight Defense & National Security — Presented by Raytheon Technologies — Biden backtracks on Taiwan Photos of the Week: Manchin protestor, Paris Hilton and a mirror room MORE would not make it.
However, stars like Jay-Z and Beyoncé were still expected to attend as of Friday, according to the Times.
The party, details of which were first reported by The Hill last month, is being held at the Obamas’ oceanside home, set on nearly 30 acres.
Sources told The Hill at the time that guests were being asked to have a COVID-19 test before attending the event at the nearly 7,000-foot mansion to celebrate the former president, who officially turned 60 on Wednesday.
However, the Times reported earlier this week that the Saturday party would be limited to family and close friends due to COVID-19 concerns, with Obama spokesperson Hanna Hankins attributing the move to “the new spread of the Delta variant over the past week.”
“He’s appreciative of others sending their birthday wishes from afar and looks forward to seeing people soon,” Hankins added.
The Times reported Friday that according to people familiar with the planning, Valerie JarrettValerie June JarrettWhatever else he did, Cuomo did not obstruct justice by ranting to Obama White House Larry David, late-night talk hosts cut from Obama birthday guest list Obama's presidential center may set modern record for length of delay MORE, one of Obama’s closest friends and advisers, had been in favor of limiting the guest list, with the former president saying that he didn’t want the party to distract from ongoing efforts by the Biden administration to encourage more Americans to get vaccinated and follow updated CDC safety guidelines.