Mike Richards undergoing sensitivity training amid 'Jeopardy!' controversy
© (Matt Winkelmeyer/Getty Images)

Mike Richards is receiving sensitivity training and will have his work on "Jeopardy!" overseen by a supervisor after past offensive comments of his resurfaced.

The longtime executive producer stepped down as host of the quiz show last week shortly after being named as the late Alex Trebek's successor for the coveted gig.

Richards, 46, offered another apology for his past behavior in a call earlier this week with "Jeopardy!" executives, The New York Times reported on Wednesday.

ADVERTISEMENT

The move to step down came after a report in The Ringer brought to light a series of podcast episodes from 2013 and 2014 in which Richards made derogatory remarks about women.

Richards's spokesman, Ed Tagliaferri, told the Times that the producer asked Sony Pictures executives to prove "who he really is."

“Mike is committed to continuing as the executive producer of ‘Jeopardy!’ and ‘Wheel of Fortune,’” Tagliaferri said.

Tagliaferri didn't immediately respond to ITK's request for comment.

Suzanne Prete, a Sony business and legal affairs executive, will provide "oversight of the business operations of 'Jeopardy!' and 'Wheel of Fortune,'" a Sony source told ITK. The source also confirmed that Richards agreed to sensitivity training.

"Big Bang Theory" star Mayim Bialik, who had previously been named as the presenter of a series of "Jeopardy!" spin-off specials, will serve as a temporary host until a permanent one is chosen, the show announced earlier this week.

Updated 9:21 p.m.