London court says it will ensure that Prince Andrew is served with lawsuit
© Getty Images

London's High Court on Wednesday said it would work to ensure that Prince Andrew, the Duke of York, is served with the lawsuit against him by an alleged Jeffrey Epstein victim who has accused the prince of abusing her when she was a minor.

Last week, lawyers for Virginia Roberts Giuffre said they had attempted to serve Andrew with the lawsuit filed against him by leaving it with security near his home. However, lawyers for Andrew argued that the suit had not been properly served.

A spokesperson for the High Court said that the way for suits across different jurisdictions to be served must be determined by the Hague Service Convention, Reuters reported. The convention requires that requests be approved by the relevant authorities in the respective country.

ADVERTISEMENT

"The lawyers acting for Ms Giuffre have now provided further information to the High Court, and the High Court has accepted the request for service under the Hague Service Convention," a court spokesperson told Reuters in a statement.

"The legal process has not yet been served but the High Court will now take steps to serve under the Convention unless service is arranged by agreement between the parties," they added.

In August, Giuffre filed a lawsuit in New York against Andrew, Queen Elizabeth's second-oldest son, alleging that he sexually abused her when she was a minor.

"I am holding Prince Andrew accountable for what he did to me. The powerful and the rich are not exempt from being held responsible for their actions," Giuffre said at the time. "I hope that other victims will see that it is possible not to live in silence and fear, but one can reclaim her life by speaking out and demanding justice."

Andrew, who long had an association with the convicted sex offender Epstein, has continually denied having ever met Giuffre, despite a well-known photograph showing the prince with his arm around her when she was still a minor. He has suggested that the photo was manipulated in an interview.

Andrew Brettler, an attorney for the prince, has called Giuffre's claims “baseless, non-viable and potentially unlawful."

Prince Andrew's legal team declined to comment when reached by The Hill.

Updated at 2:42 p.m.