British authorities on Monday announced that they will not be taking any action against Prince Andrew, Duke of York, the second-oldest son of Queen Elizabeth II, following a review conducted after allegations of sexual abuse were made against him.
In August, London's police commissioner, Cressida Dick, announced that the Metropolitan Police would be reviewing the case against Prince Andrew, who has been accused by Virginia Giuffre, an alleged victim of Jeffrey Epstein, of sexually abusing her when she was a minor.
Giuffre filed a lawsuit against Andrew in August in New York, alleging that apart from sexual abuse, the prince also intentionally inflicted emotional distress on her.
The Metropolitan Police said the “review has concluded and we are taking no further action,” according to The Associated Press.
The police force said it would also not be taking action relating to allegations that Epstein associated Ghislaine Maxwell groomed and abused women in the U.K.
A source close to the Duke told The Hill that "it comes as no surprise that the Met Police have confirmed that, after reviewed the sex assault claims against The Duke for a third time, they are taking no further action. Despite pressure from the media and claims of new evidence, the Met have concluded that the claims are not sufficient to warrant any further investigation. The Duke has always vigorously maintained his innocence and continues to do so."
In September, lawyers for Giuffre said Andrew had been served with the lawsuit after London's High Court said it would ensure that the prince is served with the lawsuit. Lawyers had attempted to serve the lawsuit earlier by leaving it with security near Andrew's home, but his lawyers argued that it had not been properly served.
"The legal process has not yet been served but the High Court will now take steps to serve under the Convention unless service is arranged by agreement between the parties," the court said.
Andrew has continually denied the allegations against him, going as far as to suggest that a widely-circulated photo of him with his arm around an underage Giuffre was digitally manipulated.
A lawyer for Prince Andrew has called Giuffre's accusations “baseless, non-viable and potentially unlawful," and has vowed to challenge the suit.
Updated at 12:55 p.m.