Five people were killed and two others were wounded in Norway on Wednesday by a man using a bow and arrows, according to Reuters.
The attacks took place in the town of Kongsberg, roughly 50 miles southwest of the capital Oslo, just after 6 p.m.
An off-duty police officer was reportedly wounded in the attack.
Police said that the perpetrator had been caught and they believe he was acting alone.
“The man has been apprehended … from the information we now have, this person carried out these actions alone,” the police chief, Øyvind Aas, told reporters at the scene, according to The Guardian. “Several people have been injured and several are dead.”
“The man used a bow and arrow ... for some of the attacks,” Aas added, according to Reuters. Authorities are looking into if any other weapons, including a knife, were deployed in the attack, according to The New York Times.
The suspect’s motive remains unknown.
"Time will tell what kind of motive there has been for this action," Aas said, according to local newspaper Aftenposten.
Prime Minister Erna Solberg emphasized that it is not clear if the incident is terror-related, according to the Times.
The incident, according to Reuters, was the deadliest attack in Norway since 2011. That year, Anders Behring Breivik, a far-right extremist, killed 77 individuals, the majority of whom were teenagers attending a youth camp.
Local newspaper Dagbladet reported that the suspect started shooting arrows inside a supermarket in the town's west.
The BBC reported that a large number of emergency vehicles arrived at the location of the incident, including ambulances, helicopters and police cars.
Norway's Justice Department tweeted that Minister of Justice and Emergency Management Monica Mæland was following the situation in Kongsberg closely.
Solberg, during a news conference on Wednesday, said “the reports coming from Kongsberg tonight are horrifying,” according to Reuters.
“The incident has left us all shaken,” she added, according to the Times. “The news is terrifying. I understand that people are getting scared.”
Solberg emphasized, however, that the police had taken control.
“I understand that many people are afraid, but it's important to emphasise that the police are now in control,” she said, according to Reuters.
The police directorate said that after the attack, all officers were directed to carry firearms with them. Norwegian police do not normally carry firearms, but they are able to access guns and rifles if needed.
The directorate, in a statement, said the new order was “an extra precaution,” adding that there was not a change in the threat level in the country.
“The police have no indication so far that there is a change in the national threat level,” the directorate said, according to Reuters.
Updated at 7:11 p.m.