Queen Elizabeth II cancels trip after being advised to rest
© Getty

Queen Elizabeth II will remain at home at Windsor Castle this week after she received medical advice against traveling to Northern Ireland later this week.

Buckingham Palace made the announcement in a statement on Wednesday, saying that the queen needed to rest, CNN reported.

"Her Majesty is in good spirits and is disappointed that she will no longer be able to visit Northern Ireland, where she had been due to undertake a series of engagements today and tomorrow," the statement said.

ADVERTISEMENT

"The Queen sends her warmest good wishes to the people of Northern Ireland, and looks forward to visiting in the future," it added.

A source told CNN that the advice and rest were “not COVID related.”

The Queen has remained at Windsor Castle for the duration of the coronavirus pandemic, though her reason for canceling the trip to Northern Ireland was reportedly not related to the virus, The Associated Press reported.

Earlier this week Elizabeth was photographed using a walking stick while attending an armed forces charity event. She was last seen using a cane in public in 2003 shortly after undergoing knee surgery, the news outlet noted.
 
Despite coming up on 70 years on the throne next year, the queen has expressed that "you are as old as you feel."
 
She made the remarks in a statement published on Tuesday, declining to receive the title of "Oldie of the Year" from a British magazine.
 
"The Queen does not believe she meets the relevant criteria to be able to accept, and hopes you will find a more worthy recipient,” the 95-year-old queen’s secretary wrote in a statement to the magazine at the time.