Alec Baldwin posts message defending conditions on ‘Rust’ set
Alec Baldwin on Tuesday posted a message to Instagram pushing back on reports of unsafe conditions on the “Rust” set in the wake of last month’s fatal shooting.
The actor, who accidentally shot and killed cinematographer Halyna Hutchins with a prop firearm, posted a series of messages to his Instagram that address various negative claims surrounding the production. He simply captioned the series, “Read this.”
The messages come from Therese Magpale Davis, who claimed to have worked on the project as a costume designer.
“The story being spun of us being overworked and surrounded by unsafe, chaotic conditions is bull****,” she wrote.
Among the rumors Davis shot down was that proper safety precautions weren’t followed on set throughout the entirety of filming.
“The misfires were accidental discharges, which are more common than you think,” Davis said. She added that Dave Halls, the assistant director who reportedly handed Baldwin the gun, “never seemed flippant” when it came to safety, although “he screwed up majorly that day.” Davis did not mention Halls by name, and referred to him as their “AD.”
Davis wrote that the cast and crew would sometimes have several safety meetings per day while filming. She also shot down reports that the camera crew walked off the job because of safety concerns, writing that it was because of contract negotiations.
The day of the accident, Halls was stressed from production being behind schedule due to the walk-off, which led to the fatal mistake of handing Baldwin the gun without it first being properly vetted, she said.
“He made the most horrible call he could make,” she wrote. “I am heartbroken and furious that he did so and I will never get the sound of that gunshot or my director’s screams out of my head as a result. My friend is dead. Am I angry with him? Yes. But I won’t jump on the bandwagon and pretend that he was uncaring about our safety the whole way through.”
Various concerns from cast and crew were heard and addressed throughout filming, she noted, adding that since the incident, producers have consistently called to check in on them.
“These producers who supposedly don’t care about their crew have worked tirelessly alongside us,” she wrote. “They cared about us while we all worked together and they continue to care.”
Baldwin wrote on Oct. 22 that were “no words” to convey his “shock and sadness.”
Allegations over who is responsible for the death have heated up in recent days.
Lisa Torraco, a lawyer for Halls, defended him on Monday during a Fox News interview, saying it’s “not the assistant director’s job” to check the firearm for safety protocols while on set. She also cast doubt on who handed Baldwin the weapon, arguing, “This idea my client grabbed the gun and handed it to Baldwin absolutely did not happen.”
Torraco appeared to place most of the blame on armorer Hannah Gutierrez-Reed, whose attorneys suggested on Wednesday during an appearance on NBC’s “TODAY” show that an element of sabotage could have been involved.
“There was a box of dummy rounds labeled ‘dummy,'” Robert Gorence said, according to NBC News. “We don’t know whether the live round came from that box. We’re assuming somebody put the live round in that box.”
The Hill has removed its comment section, as there are many other forums for readers to participate in the conversation. We invite you to join the discussion on Facebook and Twitter.