In The Know

Dwayne Johnson vows to never allow real guns on set again

Getty Images

Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson is vowing to never use real guns again on his productions, following the fatal shooting of a cinematographer during the filming of Alec Baldwin’s movie, “Rust.”

“Moving forward on any Seven Bucks production, television, or film, or otherwise, we will not use real guns ever again,” Johnson, referring to the production company he co-founded, told the Associated Press on Wednesday at the Los Angeles premiere of his new film, “Red Notice.”

“We are going to be using rubber guns and we’ll take care of it in post, and we won’t worry about the dollars, or won’t worry about math or what the cost is. I think we’re going to do it the right way,” the 49-year-old wrestling pro-turned-actor said.

Johnson’s remarks come just weeks after last month’s deadly “Rust” shooting on the film’s New Mexico set.

Cinematographer Halyna Hutchins was killed and director Joel Souza was injured after live ammunition was allegedly fired from the prop gun Baldwin was using while working on a scene.

The shooting, Johnson said, has served as a wake-up call for Hollywood. “It’s created a new lens and perspective I think on how we can operate moving forward,” he said.

“As awful as this situation was and is, we have to use this as an example of I think in a way to be smarter as we move forward, be safer,” Johnson said.

 

Tags Gun control Rust

The Hill has removed its comment section, as there are many other forums for readers to participate in the conversation. We invite you to join the discussion on Facebook and Twitter.

Most Popular

Load more

Video

See all Video