Alec Baldwin calls for police officers on film sets after ‘Rust’ shooting
Alec Baldwin is calling for film and TV productions to hire police officers to “monitor weapons safety,” following the fatal shooting of a cinematographer on the set of his film “Rust.”
The 63-year-old actor posted on Instagram on Monday:
Baldwin’s appeal for new entertainment industry safety standards came just weeks after the shooting on “Rust’s” New Mexico set.
Authorities say cinematographer Halyna Hutchins was killed and director Joel Souza was wounded when Baldwin fired a gun holding a “suspected live round” while the Academy Award winner was working on a scene for the Western movie.
Baldwin was reportedly told the firearm was a “cold gun,” meaning it didn’t contain live rounds. Baldwin expressed “shock and sadness” in the wake of the shooting, calling it a “tragic accident.” The performer said he was “fully cooperating with the police investigation.”
No charges have been filed in the October shooting, although Santa Fe County District Attorney Mary Carmack-Altwies didn’t rule them out, saying, “All options are on the table at this point.”
In an interview earlier this month, the attorney for “Rust’s” armorer, Hannah Gutierrez-Reed, suggested the shooting could have been a case of “sabotage.”
“We’re assuming somebody put the live round in that box,” lawyer Jason Bowles said during an appearance on NBC’s “Today.”
The former camera chief on the set, Lane Luper, called those comments from Bowles “dangerous.”
“If they have any evidence of that they should be, you know, talking to the sheriff and not morning television shows. It’s dangerous and it’s an irresponsible theory to put out on TV,” Luper said.
The Hill has removed its comment section, as there are many other forums for readers to participate in the conversation. We invite you to join the discussion on Facebook and Twitter.