In The Know

Abbott forming concert safety task force after deaths in Houston

Getty Images

Texas Gov. Greg Abbott (R) announced Wednesday that he is forming a concert safety task force following the deadly crowd surge at a Travis Scott performance in Houston last week that killed at least eight people and left many more injured.

The group, led by Texas Music Office Director Brendon Anthony, will convene state agencies, music industry representatives, law enforcement and others to produce a report on suggestions for how to keep concerts safe for attendees and others present.

“To ensure that the tragedy that occurred at the Astroworld Festival never happens again in the Lone Star State, I am forming the Texas Task Force on Concert Safety,” Abbott said in a statement

“From crowd control strategies to security measures to addressing controlled substances, this task force will develop meaningful solutions that will keep Texans safe while maximizing the joy of live music events,” he added.

Officials have launched a criminal investigation into the Astroworld incident, and Scott is already facing legal action. A lawsuit filed against Scott, Live Nation and organizer ScoreMore said the concert was a “predictable and preventable tragedy.”

Houston’s fire chief said on Tuesday that Scott should have stopped his performance when the situation turned violent, though he refrained from saying whether it was clear yet if the rapper knew the extent to how bad the situation had unfolded.

“We all have a responsibility. Everybody at that event has a responsibility. Starting from the artist on down,” Samuel Peña said on NBC’s “Today” show.

Tags Astroworld Astroworld Festival Greg Abbott Houston Texas Travis Scott

The Hill has removed its comment section, as there are many other forums for readers to participate in the conversation. We invite you to join the discussion on Facebook and Twitter.

Most Popular

Load more

Video

See all Video