Trio of former ‘Bachelorette’ contestants cut pro-Biden ad
Forget the final rose — three former “Bachelorette” contestants are attempting to woo women by cutting a pro-Biden ad running in battleground states ahead of the 2022 midterm elections.
Mike Johnson, Matt Donald and Luke Stone — who all appeared on past seasons of ABC’s longtime dating game show — are featured in the video released Thursday by Democratic super PAC American Bridge 21st Century.
In their ad, the reality TV trio touts President Biden’s $1.9 trillion American Rescue Plan that Democrats passed in March and the $1 trillion bipartisan infrastructure bill he signed last month.
“The American Rescue Plan has helped millions of Americans and is still available to help you,” Johnson, who appeared on “Bachelorette’s” 15th season, says during a testimonial.
“For all these reasons and more, we want to lend our support to these programs and to what the Biden administration is trying to do for America,” says Stone, another season 15 “Bachelorette” contestant who once worked at a Washington bar.
“This is putting Americans first,” adds “Bachelorette” and “Bachelor in Paradise” alum Donald.
The “Bachelorette” ad is part of a six-figure media program launched by American Bridge 21st Century to target voters in Georgia, Arizona and Pennsylvania using influencers and podcasters, the group said. It stems from a study the super PAC commissioned earlier this year that found that women have “low trust from traditional news sources” but greater faith in messages delivered from nonpolitical influencers.
“We know that women voters are key — but if we want to prevent 2010, we can’t use the same tired tactics we used in 2010,” American Bridge 21st Century President Jessica Floyd said in a statement, referencing a Republican wave year. “We have to meet voters where they are and build trust with them, which requires new and creative strategies to reach the voters who delivered our victories in 2018 and 2020 and who will decide our fate in 2022.”