Nunes opponent raises over $100K in campaign donations amid memo controversy

Nunes opponent raises over $100K in campaign donations amid memo controversy
© Getty

The Democratic prosecutor challenging Rep. Devin NunesDevin Gerald NunesRussia probe accelerates political prospects for House Intel Dems Nunes: Russia probe documents should be released before election Gowdy: House Intel panel should release all transcripts from Russia probe MORE (R) for his California House seat has raised more than $100,000 over the past two days amid the release of Nunes’s controversial memo, according to the campaign.

A campaign spokesperson for Andrew Janz confirmed to The Hill that Janz’s campaign raised $111,506 over Thursday and Friday, and $54,394 on Friday alone.

"Our dramatic increase in contributions is a direct reflection of Nunes's actions,” said Janz campaign manager Heather Greven. “[Nunes] has given Andrew's campaign the best gift we could have received, he put a national target on his back and has made this a top 5 race. He is doing everything possible to make this a winnable race for us."

ADVERTISEMENT

A recent poll from left-leaning Public Policy Polling showed a generic Democratic candidate within a 5-point margin of Nunes. Nunes’s district leans strongly Republican, however, and President TrumpDonald John TrumpTrump: I hope voters pay attention to Dem tactics amid Kavanaugh fight South Korea leader: North Korea agrees to take steps toward denuclearization Graham calls handling of Kavanaugh allegations 'a drive-by shooting' MORE won it by near double-digits. The sitting congressman has far outraised Janz so far in the race, ending the year with $3.8 million in cash on hand, according to Federal Elections Commission records. 

Nunes, the GOP chairman of the House Intelligence Committee and a strong supporter of Trump, compiled the previously confidential memo that was released on Friday. It alleges anti-Trump bias and surveillance abuse in the FBI and Justice Department. 

The House Intelligence Committee voted Monday to declassify and publish the memo, and all eyes have been on Washington this week as Trump reviewed the document, deciding Friday morning to allow its publication.

The publication of the memo has been met with major outcry from Democrats, who have accused the GOP of failing to include all the context in an attempt to protect Trump and undermine the investigation into whether his campaign colluded with Russia.

Earlier this week it was discovered that the URL www.nunesmemo.com redirects to Janz’s campaign site. Janz said he was not behind the redirect, but said he was “pleasantly surprised” by it.