Story at a glance

  • Authorities said on Thursday an attack perpetrated by a man with a bow and arrows that killed five people in a town outside of Norway’s capital appears to be a “terrorist act.”
  • “The incidents in Kongsberg currently appear to be a terrorist act, but the investigation … will clarify in more detail,” authorities said.
  • “Attacks on random people in public places are a recurring modus operandi among extremist Islamists carrying out terror in the West,” the domestic security agency PST said.

Authorities said on Thursday an attack perpetrated by a man with a bow and arrows that killed five people in a town outside of Norway’s capital appears to be a “terrorist act.” 

A 37-year-old man, who authorities believe was acting alone, allegedly killed four women and a man between, all of whom were between the ages of 50 and 70, and injured two others, The Washington Post reported. The incident reports began around 6 p.m. on Wednesday, and the man was arrested less than an hour later. 

“The incidents in Kongsberg currently appear to be a terrorist act, but the investigation … will clarify in more detail,” the security service said in a statement.

“Attacks on random people in public places are a recurring modus operandi among extremist Islamists carrying out terror in the West,” the domestic security agency PST said.

Regional police chief Ole B. Saeverud told reporters on Thursday that the man had converted to Islam and that they had received reports that the man may have been radicalized. The man previously received a restraining order last year after threatening to kill one of his family members, according to the outlet. 


Our country is in a historic fight against the coronavirus. Add Changing America to your Facebook or Twitter feed to stay on top of the news.


Norwegian King Harald V said in a statement, per The Associated Press, that people have “experienced that their safe local environment suddenly became a dangerous place. It shakes us all when horrible things happen near us, when you least expect it, in the middle of everyday life on the open street.”

The suspect will face a custody hearing on Friday and is currently being held on preliminary charges.

Wednesday's mass killing was reportedly the largest in Norway since 2011, when right-wing extremist Anders Behring Breivik killed 77 people in a bombing and mass shooting. Breivik was sentenced to 21 years in prison — the maximum sentence. 


READ MORE STORIES FROM CHANGING AMERICA

SHOCKING STUDY SAYS CHEMICALS FOUND IN SHAMPOO, MAKEUP MAY KILL 100K AMERICANS PREMATURELY EACH YEAR

SCIENTISTS SAY MYSTERIOUS RADIO WAVES ARE COMING FROM THE CENTER OF THE MILKY WAY

45 STATES ARE DOING BETTER WITH COVID-19, BUT THESE 5 ARE SURGING

DOG THE BOUNTY HUNTER LEAVES SEARCH FOR BRIAN LAUNDRIE

NFL KICKER CELEBRATES GAME-WINNING FIELD GOAL HE ACTUALLY MISSED

Published on Oct 14, 2021