Enrichment Arts & Culture

Canada’s Prince Andrew High School changing name amid sexual assault allegations

In this Sunday, April 11, 2021 file photo, Britain’s Prince Andrew speaks. during a television interview at the Royal Chapel of All Saints at Royal Lodge, Windsor, England, Sunday, April 11, 2021.  Steve Parsons/Pool Photo via AP

Story at a glance

  • Canada’s Prince Andrew High School is updating its name amid ongoing accusations Andrew previously sexually abused an underaged teen.
  • “Our hope is to continue to build our identity as a positive, supportive and respectful community, with a name to match,” the school said.
  • Andrew has denied the allegation.

Canada’s Prince Andrew High School is updating its name amid the ongoing fallout over allegations Prince Andrew sexually abused an underage girl trafficked by Jeffrey Epstein.  

Principal Craig Campbell wrote in a message shared by the Coast Halifax that the school was beginning the renaming process, calling it “exciting news.”  

“The name of a school should be reflective of our school community and uphold our values as a safe and inclusive learning space for all,” Campbell wrote to the Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, school community. 

“Our hope is to continue to build our identity as a positive, supportive and respectful community, with a name to match,” adding the community is “excited to take this next step.” 


America is changing faster than ever! Add Changing America to your Facebook or Twitter feed to stay on top of the news. 


The school was reportedly named for Andrew soon after his birth in 1960, although leaders previously considered updating its name following revelations of Andrew’s alleged involvement with Jeffrey Epstein in 2011.  

Andrew has denied any wrongdoing.  

Campbell said the school has formed a six-member renaming committee, which is expected to select a name before the beginning 2022-23 school year in September.  

Andrew relinquished his royal titles earlier this month, a day after a federal judge permitted a sexual abuse case against him to proceed.  

“With The Queen’s approval and agreement, The Duke of York’s military affiliations and Royal patronages have been returned to The Queen,” the palace’s statement reads 


READ MORE STORIES FROM CHANGING AMERICA 

ROBIN WILLIAMS’ DAUGHTER HAS WARNING FOR FANS MOURNING BOB SAGET 

‘HAMILTON’ STAR LIN-MANUEL MIRANDA FIRES BACK AT CANCEL CULTURE 

WAR ERUPTS OVER NEW MARVEL BLOCKBUSTER’S GAY SUPERHERO 

‘PARKS AND RECREATION’ ACTOR CHARGED WITH VANDALIZING GEORGE FLOYD STATUE