Enrichment Education

Michigan’s Oxford High School reopens two months after deadly school shooting

Memorial items are shown on the sign of Oxford High School in Oxford, Mich., Wednesday, Dec. 1, 2021. Officials planned to welcome students back to Oxford High School on Monday, Jan. 24, 2022, which is reopening for the first time since four students were killed and six students and a teacher were injured during a… Paul Sancya/ AP

Story at a glance

  • Oxford High School in Michigan reopened on Monday, Jan. 24 for the first time since a Nov. 30. school shooting.
  • Ethan Crumbley, a 15-year-old student at the high school, opened fire and killed four students and injured others on Nov. 30.
  • The high school will have numerous mental health resources available to students, according to principal Steven Wolf.

Nearly two months after a student at Oxford High School opened fire and killed four classmates and injured several others, the school is reopening and welcoming students and staff back, hoping to strike a sense of normalcy. 

Oxford High School principal Steven Wolf released a video statement Sunday in honor of the school reopening on Jan. 24, saying, “we are reclaiming our high school back.” Wolf acknowledged over the past two months students, staff and members of the community have attended funerals, vigils and memorials together and the process hasn’t been easy. 

“We know it’s going to be really difficult for our students and our staff to come back because we’re still grieving, and our thoughts and our prayers will continue to be with the victims of this senseless act and this tragedy and for those who continue to heal,” said Wolf.  

Wolf emphasized that the school will have numerous mental health resources available to students. 


America is changing faster than ever! Add Changing America to your Facebook or Twitter feed to stay on top of the news. 


“And students remember, being Oxford strong means asking for help when you need it because we’re all going to need some help getting through this,” said Wolf.  

Students of Oxford High School had been attending classes in other school buildings since Jan. 10, and on Monday, as students and staff returned to the high school for the first time since the deadly Nov. 30 shooting, everything, “went very well,” said Oxford Community Schools spokeswoman Dani Stublensky to The Associated Press (AP). 

Ethan Crumbley, 15, is accused of opening fire at Oxford High School on Nov. 30 with a 9mm handgun, which killed four students and injured six others, as well as one teacher. The shooting became the deadliest shooting at a U.S. K-12 campus since 2018, according to CNN. 

Crumbley is currently being held in jail and is charged with one count of terrorism causing death, four counts of first-degree murder, seven counts of assault with intent to murder and 12 counts of possession of a firearm during the commission of a felony. 

Both of Crumbley’s parents have also been charged with manslaughter but pleaded not guilty. 


READ MORE STORIES FROM CHANGING AMERICA 

RESEARCHERS FIND GENETIC LINK TO COVID-19-INDUCED LOSS OF SMELL AND TASTE 

NEW STUDY SAYS AIR KNOCKS DOWN COVID-19 INFECTION RATE BY 90 PERCENT 

ROBIN WILLIAMS’ DAUGHTER HAS WARNING FOR FANS MOURNING BOB SAGET 

YALE, GEORGETOWN, 14 OTHER TOP COLLEGES SUED FOR ALLEGED COLLUSION 

34 RESCUED FROM FLOATING CHUNK OF ICE OFF GREEN BAY SHORE