Enrichment Education

Police found 100 bags of fentanyl in bedroom of Connecticut teen who died after suspected overdose at school

Story at a glance

  • A 13-year-old boy died on Jan. 15 after suffering from a suspected fentanyl overdose at the Sport and Medical Sciences Academy in Connecticut two days prior.
  • Authorities discovered about 40 bags of powdered fentanyl in two classrooms and the gymnasium.
  • The Hartford Police Department later located an additional 100 bags of fentanyl in the teenager’s room.

Police found a massive quantity of fentanyl in the bedroom of a teenage boy who died after he reportedly overdosed on the drug at school.  

The Hartford Police Department told USA Today that it located an additional 100 bags of fentanyl in the teenager’s room. It’s unknown how the boy acquired the drugs.   

Police and EMS responded to the Sport and Medical Sciences Academy on Jan. 13 at approximately 10:45 a.m. for a report of an unconscious student. EMS performed CPR on the teen before transporting him to Connecticut Children’s Hospital. He died two days later   

Two other students in the same classroom were also transported to the hospital out of caution and later released, and a teacher who suffered a panic attack also received aid. 


America is changing faster than ever! Add Changing America to your Facebook or Twitter feed to stay on top of the news.  


The campus was placed on lockdown as authorities and drug-detecting dogs searched the area. Authorities discovered about 40 bags of powdered fentanyl in two classrooms and the gymnasium. It’s believed a student brought them to campus.     

Fentanyl is 80 to 100 times stronger than morphine and is the primary driver of drug overdose deaths in the United States, according to the Drug Enforcement Administration   

The Hartford Police Department is investigating the source of the drugs and events.  


READ MORE STORIES FROM CHANGING AMERICA 
TEEN DIES DAYS AFTER SUSPECTED FENTANYL OVERDOSE AT SCHOOL 
TEEN IN GRAVE CONDITION FOLLOWING APPARENT FENTANYL OVERDOSE AT HARTFORD SCHOOL, REPORT SAYS  
NYC VENDING MACHINES WILL GIVE PEOPLE SYRINGES, OPIOID OVERDOSE TREATMENT   
SACKLER FAMILY ACCUSES LAWYERS OF OPIOID CRISIS SMEAR CAMPAIGN COSTING THEM BILLIONS