Story at a glance

  • The head coach of the Denver Broncos says racism isn't a big problem within the NFL.
  • This comes as several players decry NFL Commissioner Roger Goodall's statement on civil rights protests across the country.

The Denver Broncos head coach Vic Fangio told press on Tuesday that he doesn’t see racism or discrimination as issues in the National Football League (NFL).

His comments come as protests against police brutality ensue across the U.S. following the death of George Floyd, who died at the hands of police. 

"I think our problems in the NFL along those lines are minimal," CNN quotes Fangio as saying. "We're a league of meritocracy, you earn what you get, you get what you earn."


BREAKING NEWS ABOUT THE GEORGE FLOYD CASE

NEW VIDEO SHOWS DIFFERENT VIEW OF GEORGE FLOYD ARREST

STATE OF MINNESOTA FILES HUMAN RIGHTS COMPLAINT AGAINST MINNEAPOLIS POLICE

CELEBRITIES INCLUDING JOHN LEGEND AND THE WEEKND SIGN PETITION TO DEFUND THE POLICE

POLICE CHIEF CALLS FOR NATIONAL BAN ON CHOKEHOLDS AFTER GEORGE FLOYD KILLING 


"I don't see racism at all in the NFL. I don't see discrimination in the NFL," Fangio continued. "We're lucky. We all live together, joined as one, for one common goal, and we all intermingle and mix tremendously. If society reflected an NFL team, we'd all be great."

Executives at the NFL have recently come under fire by both the public and its own players after Commissioner Roger Goodell released a statement many found hollow.

"As current events dramatically underscore, there remains much more to do as a country and as a league. These tragedies inform the NFL’s commitment and our ongoing efforts. There remains an urgent need for action. We recognize the power of our platform in communities and as part of the fabric of American society,” the statement read.

 

 

Houston Texans wide receiver Kenny Stills was quick to comment, responding to the NFL’s tweet with “Save the B******t.

Despite the NFL consistently boasting diverse rosters, with official 2019 data confirming 70.1 percent of its pro athletes identifying as persons of color, only 12.5 percent of head coaches of the 32 affiliated teams are also persons of color. 


America is changing FASTER THAN EVER. Add Changing America to your Facebook and Twitter feeds to stay engaged on the latest news and smartest insights.


Similar, C-level executives and managers at the corporate helm of the NFL are even less diverse, with 10.9 percent of executives identifying as persons of color, while the remaining majority of 89.1 percent being white. 

In 2016, the NFL sparked national dialogue when Colin Kaepernick, then a quarterback with the San Francisco 49ers, famously kneeled during the national anthem in protest of the treatment of people of color and minorities in the U.S.

Other players followed suit, while President Trump stood in fierce opposition to the protests.  

CNN reports that to improve the diversity in staffing within the NFL, the organization announced more robust diversity guidelines when interviewing for coaching positions.

 

Published on Jun 03, 2020