Story at a glance

  • California's clean-air regulator on Thursday unanimously approved new rules for ride-sharing companies Thursday.
  • The companies will have to begin the electrification of their fleets in 2023.
  • Both Uber and Lyft have already committed to converting their fleets entirely to electric vehicles by 2030.

California is requiring ride-sharing companies such as Uber and Lyft to transition from gasoline to electric vehicles (EVs) in their networks by the end of this decade. 

The state’s clean-air regulator on Thursday unanimously approved the Clean Miles Standard mandating that EVs account for 90 percent of ride-hailing vehicle miles traveled in California by 2030.


America is changing faster than ever! Add Changing America to your Facebook or Twitter feed to stay on top of the news.


The ride-share companies will have to begin the electrification of their fleets in 2023. 

The move by the California Air Resources Board (CARB) is part of California’s effort to phase out gas-powered vehicles and reduce greenhouse gas emissions and become carbon neutral by 2045. Gov. Gavin Newsom (D-Calif.) last year signed an executive order requiring all new cars and passenger trucks sold in the state of nearly 40 million residents be zero-emission by 2035. 

“The transportation sector is responsible for nearly half of California’s greenhouse gas emissions, the vast majority of which come from light-duty vehicles,” CARB Chair Liane M. Randolph said in a statement. 

“This action will help provide certainty to the state’s climate efforts and improve air quality in our most disadvantaged communities,” Randolph said. 

Both Uber and Lyft have already committed to converting their fleets entirely to EVs by 2030 and have made efforts to help drivers make the shift. The companies have said, however, California needs to spend more money to help drivers afford the zero emissions vehicles, according to Reuters

“Lyft supports CARB’s EV and [greenhouse gas] targets for TNCs [ridesharing companies] and advocated for aggressive targets throughout the process,” Paul Augustine, senior manager of Sustainability at Lyft, told Changing America in a statement. 

Uber applauded the rule as “one of the first emissions policies in the world based on real-world vehicle use.”

“With ridehail trips accounting for just 1% of California’s light-duty vehicle emissions, we hope [Clean Miles Standard] becomes a useful template for examining the other 99 percent,” Adam Gromis, global head of sustainability for Uber, said in a statement. 


READ MORE STORIES FROM CHANGING AMERICA

CHERNOBYL IS SHOWING SIGNS OF A POSSIBLE NEW NUCLEAR ACCIDENT, SCIENTISTS SAY

EPA ORDERS CONTROVERSIAL OIL REFINERY TO SHUT DOWN AFTER MULTIPLE ACCIDENTS AND ‘IMMINENT’ THREAT TO HEALTH

LUMBER CRISIS IS ENCOURAGING TREE POACHERS ARMED WITH CHAINSAWS

SCIENTISTS URGE ‘ERUPTION PLAN’ AS WORLD’S LARGEST VOLCANO SIMMERS

PANDEMIC PUPPIES RETURNED TO SHELTERS AS COVID-19 RESTRICTIONS LIFT


 

Published on May 21, 2021