Story at a glance

  • The 58-story building has sunk about 16 inches over several years.
  • Work to mitigate the issue was paused last month after sinking accelerated.
  • The San Francisco Chronicle reports city officials told Millenium Tower management Friday not to restart construction until the city reviews an updated construction plan.

A project to repair San Francisco’s sinking Millennium Tower has hit another snag. 

The luxury condo building was built in 2009 in San Francisco’s downtown area and quickly became home to high-profile residents in the city. 

But by 2016, residents were notified the 58-story building had sunk about 16 inches and was tilting, prompting lawsuits against the building’s developer that resulted in a $100-million settlement to fix the issue, according to CBS San Francisco

Work to drill into bedrock sitting under the building and install massive support beams known as pilings kicked off earlier this year, but was stopped last month when engineers discovered the building sunk another inch since the work began. The pause was expected to last somewhere between two to four weeks. 

An engineering report subsequently found the building’s sinking is likely being accelerated by the repair work as the sinking stopped after the work was paused, according to The San Francisco Chronicle


America is changing faster than ever! Add Changing America to your Facebook or Twitter feed to stay on top of the news.


The news outlet reports the city’s Department of Building Inspection interim director Patrick O’Riordan told the building’s management in a letter Friday not to continue construction until the city reviews an updated construction plan. 

The letter, however, noted there’s been no material damage to the building and it is structurally safe, as emphasized by the building’s management. 

A spokesperson for Millennium Tower told The San Francisco Chronicle “construction will restart with modifications to the drilling methods as soon as specific construction modification options are finalized” with the city’s approval. 

A spokesperson told Changing America last month that once the repairs are complete, the building will “recover some of the tilting.” 


READ MORE STORIES FROM CHANGING AMERICA

WHOPPING 67 PERCENT OF UNVACCINATED AMERICANS WOULD QUIT THEIR JOB IF VACCINES ARE MANDATED

FAUCI SAYS HE’S ‘KEEPING A VERY CLOSE EYE ON’ NEW COVID-19 VARIANT

TUCKER CARLSON DEFENDS FAKE VACCINATION CARDS

KIM JONG UN TURNS DOWN VACCINES, INSISTS ON FIGHTING PANDEMIC ‘IN OUR STYLE’

BOOSTER SHOTS MAY ONLY BE AVAILABLE TO PFIZER VACCINE RECIPIENTS AT FIRST, OFFICIALS SAY


 

Published on Sep 13, 2021