Story at a glance
- Barron Trump initially tested negative for COVID-19 earlier this month.
- A subsequent test later showed Barron was in fact infected with the virus.
- The first lady said he exhibited no symptoms and has since tested negative. Both she and President Trump have tested negative as well.
First lady Melania Trump on Wednesday announced that her 14-year-old son Barron Trump tested positive for the coronavirus not long after she and President Trump were diagnosed with COVID-19.
In an online statement, the first lady said Barron initially tested negative after she and the president tested positive earlier this month. A subsequent test later showed Barron was in fact infected with the virus.
The first lady said he exhibited no symptoms and has since tested negative. Both she and President Trump have tested negative as well.
“My fear came true when he was tested again and it came up positive,” she said in a statement.
“Luckily he is a strong teenager and exhibited no symptoms. In one way I was glad the three of us went through this at the same time so we could take care of one another and spend time together,” she said.
The first lady said she experienced minimal symptoms such as body aches, cough, headaches and felt “extremely tired most of the time.”
President Trump on Oct. 2 announced that he and the first lady had COVID-19 after it was revealed one of his closest advisers, Hope Hicks, had been infected. Following the news of Trump’s diagnosis, several White House staffers, advisers and other contacts reported testing positive for the virus, including White House press secretary Kayleigh McEnany, former White House counselor Kellyanne Conway and several others.
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT CORONAVIRUS RIGHT NOW