Story at a glance
- Madelyn Nicpon, 20, was participating with other college students in the contest Saturday at an off-campus residence in Somerville, Mass., when she began choking.
- She was rushed to a hospital where she died.
- In an Instagram post, Nicpon’s lacrosse teammates said they were heartbroken over her death and will miss her every day.
A member of the Tufts University women's lacrosse team has died after choking during a hot dog eating contest for charity over the weekend.
Madelyn “Madie” Nicpon, 20, was participating with other college students in the contest Saturday at an off-campus residence in Somerville, Mass., when she began choking and became unconscious, according to Rockland/Westchester Journal News. The contest was reportedly part of a fundraiser.
The outlet reports she died Sunday at Massachusetts General Hospital.
Nicpon, who was originally from Suffern, N.Y., was a junior studying biopsychology, according to university officials.
Thousands of students, faculty and staff gathered Sunday at the university’s lacrosse field for a vigil to mourn her loss.
“The number of community members who turned out to lend support to each other, to Madie’s friends, and to her family was a testament to how many lives Madie touched during her time at Tufts,” university officials said in a statement.
In an Instagram post, Nicpon’s teammates said they were heartbroken over her death and will miss her every day.
“Madie will be remembered as a bright light, a social butterfly, an amazing teammate, a kind and generous person, a wonderful sister and daughter and a Jumbo that we can all aspire to emulate,” the post states.
A GoFundMe to help cover Nicpon’s funeral and medical costs has garnered more than $162,000.
READ MORE STORIES FROM CHANGING AMERICA