Story at a glance

  • The lavish event attended each year by Trump and his family will still take place Thursday night at the president’s private club.
  • There’s no word on whether COVID-19 guidelines will be in place or if guests will adhere to them.
  • The New Year’s Eve celebration comes as the U.S. has dealt with the worst month of the pandemic thus far.

President Trump reportedly plans to hold his annual black-tie New Year’s Eve gala at his Mar-a-Lago resort in Palm Beach, Fla., despite the raging coronavirus pandemic that has left nearly 340,000 Americans dead. 

CNN reports the lavish event attended each year by Trump and his family will still take place Thursday night at the president’s private club as coronavirus cases and deaths continue to soar across the U.S. 


Our country is in a historic fight against the Coronavirus. Add Changing America to your Facebook or Twitter feed to stay on top of the news.


While there’s no official word on how many guests will be in attendance this year, a member of Mar-a-Lago told the news outlet at least 500 reservations have been confirmed so far for the event where attendees reportedly paid about $1,000 per ticket in 2019. 

There’s also no word on whether COVID-19 guidelines will be in place or if guests will adhere to them. 

Trump’s New Year’s Eve galas in the past, which date back to the year 2000, have hosted hundreds of people, with about 800 people attending the party in 2017, according to The Palm Beach Post. The president was unable to attend the gala in 2018 due to the government shutdown, leaving first lady Melania Trump to host the party without her husband. 

The Trump administration has seen its fair share of coronavirus infections as it has continued to hold events during the pandemic that often disregard its own public health guidance.  

Dozens of cases have been tied to the White House or people who spent time near President Trump over the past several months, including members of Trump’s family, campaign, administration and staff. The president himself announced in October he and first lady Melania Trump tested positive for COVID-19, and he was treated at Walter Reed Medical Center.

The New Year’s Eve celebration comes as the U.S. has dealt with the worst month of the pandemic thus far. The nation surpassed 19 million coronavirus infections this week and December is the deadliest month of the outbreak, with more than 63,000 deaths. More than 178,000 cases are currently being reported each day with more than 2,200 deaths. 

Meanwhile, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has advised Americans to celebrate the new year at home with people in their own household or virtually with friends and family to help slow the spread of the virus. 


WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT CORONAVIRUS RIGHT NOW

A NEW VARIANT OF THE CORONAVIRUS IN THE UK: WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW

FROM THE LAB BENCH TO THE UPPER ARM: HOW COVID-19 VACCINES CAME INTO BEING

5,000 BODY BAGS AND 60 MORGUE TRUCKS SENT TO COVID-RAVAGED CALIFORNIA

FIRST WILD ANIMAL IN US TESTS POSITIVE FOR COVID-19

PFIZER’S VACCINE IS GIVEN IN TWO DOSES — BUT FDA SAYS FIRST DOSE ALONE IS HIGHLY EFFECTIVE


 

Published on Dec 30, 2020