Story at a glance
- The state has seen at least one coronavirus-related fatality every day since March 18 as the virus tore through the U.S., with daily deaths surpassing 100 on several days in April.
- Connecticut Gov. Ned Lamont (D) during a news conference Tuesday attributed the progress made on COVID-19 deaths to residents adhering to public health measures such as social distancing and mask-wearing.
- The governor also said the state has been able to stay on top of contact tracing.
Connecticut on Tuesday reported no new coronavirus-related deaths for the first time in nearly four months, even as the U.S. set a single-day record for new coronavirus cases, topping 60,000.
Connecticut state officials reported 57 new COVID-19 cases from 5,745 tests Tuesday, bringing the total number of confirmed cases to 47,033.
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT CORONAVIRUS RIGHT NOW
The state has seen at least one coronavirus-related fatality every day since March 18 as the virus tore through the U.S., with daily deaths surpassing 100 on several days in April.
Connecticut Gov. Ned Lamont (D), during a news conference Tuesday, attributed the progress made on COVID-19 deaths to residents adhering to public health measures such as social distancing and mask-wearing.
“That’s really thanks to each and every one of you,” Lamont said, according to the Hartford Courant. “You’re wearing a mask, you’re taking protocols seriously, and it makes a difference.”
The governor also said the state has been able to stay on top of contact tracing. He said 96 percent of cases are followed up on within 48 hours through contact tracing, and 47 percent of cases have been successfully contacted.
The state recorded an increase in hospitalizations, however, tallying 14 new hospitalizations from Monday to Tuesday. Lamont said the increase did not concern him as hospital admissions have stayed steady and discharges dropped in the last 24 hours, leading to the total increase in hospitalizations. The number of hospitalizations has been mostly dropping since April.
Connecticut last month joined New York and New Jersey in issuing a joint travel advisory requiring travelers from states with high coronavirus infection rates to quarantine for 14 days. The advisory applies to people arriving from states with an infection rate about 10 cases per 100,000 people on a seven-day rolling average.
On Tuesday, the list was updated to include travelers from nearby Delaware, as well as Kansas and Oklahoma, increasing the list to 19 states.
On Monday, Lamont announced he would be pausing Connecticut’s third phase of reopening to err on the side of caution as several states are experiencing spikes in cases and hospitalizations.
Bars will stay closed and indoor gatherings will be restricted to 25 people while outdoor events will have a limit of 100 people.
“We never opened our bars,” Lamont said. “We never opened our restaurant up to 50 percent capacity. Let’s take a pause. Let’s keep it to 25 percent inside and 100 people outside.”
The state’s third phase of reopening was expected sometime in mid-July.
Connecticut’s progress against COVID-19 comes as states that were some of the first to reopen, including Arizona, Texas and Florida, have become new hot spots for the virus over the past several weeks.
BREAKING NEWS ABOUT THE CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC