Story at a glance

  • Bookies.com found that about 65 percent of users would go to a live March Madness game despite the continued pandemic.
  • The NCAA said they will allow a limited capacity of attendees at games this year.

March is officially here, which means collegiate basketball NCAA Tournament March Madness is set to begin in just a few short weeks. 

Following the cancellation of the 2020 March Madness tournament amid the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic, a new survey suggests that fans would still like to attend events, despite the ongoing pandemic.

Bookies.com surveyed 1,001 site users to gauge how fans feel about the forthcoming 2021 tournament.

A majority, 65.2 percent, of polled fans would attend a March Madness game in person, with the remaining 34.8 percent opting out of hypothetically attending the event. 

Most people who said that they would not attend an event did so because they believed that it would be a superspreader event for COVID-19, resulting in an outbreak among the athletes and attendees, according to the poll.

This is why some teams, including every program in the Ivy League schools, opted to forgo the 2021 season; the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommend that people do not gather with people outside your household and stay at least 6 feet away from others while in public. 

Others who wouldn’t attend a March Madness game chose to do so because they either felt others wouldn’t follow COVID-19 safety protocols, that the event itself was too expensive, too far from home, or that they did not like the location of the games.

For the 2021 tournament, all March Madness games will be held in Indiana to reduce the chance of transmission from frequent traveling. 

Back in February, the NCAA announced that limited fan attendance would be permitted for this year’s March Madness tournament, with Indiana stadiums operating at 25 percent capacity to reduce transmission.

Published on Mar 01, 2021