Story at a glance:
- The Chinese government is refusing to go along with the second stage of an international investigation.
- Chinese state media is recalling the initial WHO investigation in January that found no evidence that the virus was human-made nor had escaped from a Wuhan laboratory.
- The director-general of the WHO said it is too “premature” to dismiss the lab leak theory.
The Chinese government is refusing to go along with the second stage of an international investigation that would attempt to prove or disprove the lab leak theory former President Trump, as well as other conservatives, have speculated.
On Thursday, Chinese health officials said that the proposed “audits of relevant laboratories and research institutions operating in the area of the initial human cases identified in December 2019” by the World Health Organization (WHO) was disrespectful because it ignores the common sense rationale and science provided by China’s vice-minister of health, Zeng Yixin, The Guardian reported.
Last Friday, Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus of the WHO said he expected China “to support this next phase of the scientific process by sharing all relevant data in a spirit of transparency.” A week later, Zeng said “We won’t follow such a plan.”
Chinese state media is recalling the initial WHO investigation in January, saying the organization had already concluded that there was no evidence that the virus was human-made nor had escaped from a Wuhan laboratory.
Zeng calls for the WHO to investigate other countries, claiming foreign governments and their media are trying to impede China’s politics.
“The Chinese government supports origin studies based on science, yet we oppose politicising the origin studies,” Zeng said.
As Changing America previously reported, former President Trump and some of his conservative followers and allies alike have pushed an unproven theory that the Chinese government created the COVID-19 and have been covering it up.
However, calls for a closer investigation into the lab leak theory have gained momentum. Anthony Fauci, the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases and President Biden's chief medical adviser, has said he is “not convinced” COVID-19 developed naturally.
Last week, Ghebreyesus said it was too “premature” to dismiss the lab leak theory.
There was also further pressure into investigating China a second time after it surfaced that three researchers from the Wuhan Institute of Virology were sick around November 2019 and had to be hospitalized.
READ MORE STORIES FROM CHANGING AMERICA