Story at a glance
- A 13-year-old student suffered an overdose at the Sport and Medical Sciences Academy in Hartford Thursday morning.
- Police recovered a powder-like substance that was identified as fentanyl in the school.
- Two other students in the same classroom were also transported to the hospital out of caution.
A 13-year-old student suffered an overdose at the Sport and Medical Sciences Academy in Hartford, Conn., Thursday morning and is in grave condition at the hospital, according to Mayor Luke Bronin.
Police and EMS responded to the school Thursday at approximately 10:45 a.m. for a report of an unconscious student. EMS performed CPR on the 13-year-old boy before transporting him to Connecticut Children’s Hospital for a suspected overdose, according to NBC Connecticut.
Police recovered a powder-like substance that was identified as fentanyl and the campus was placed on lockdown as authorities and drug-detecting dogs searched the area.
Two other students in the same classroom were also transported to the hospital out of caution, and a teacher who suffered a panic attack also received aid. There is no further information about their conditions at this time.
"Our entire community is praying for this child in the hospital and for his family. And again [I] make an ask of every parent to talk with your kids and make sure they know how serious and how dangerous any unknown substance can be and any drug can be," Hartford Mayor Luke Bronin said, according to NBC News.
Fentanyl is 80 to 100 times stronger than morphine and is primary driver of drug overdose deaths in the United States, according to the U.S. Drug Enforcement Adminstration.
READ MORE STORIES FROM CHANGING AMERICA