Small Businesses, Big Ideas: Entrepreneurship in Action
The United States ranks first in the world in providing the best environment for cultivating entrepreneurship, according to the Global Entrepreneurship and Development Index, yet startup activity is still well below the pre-Great Recession average.
What are the biggest barriers to successful entrepreneurship, especially for minority and women-owned startups, and how can they be overcome? As the gig economy continues to rapidly expand, how can small businesses and startups work to remain a competitive employment option for job-seekers?
How are the regulatory and financial obstacles facing small businesses similar, and different, to those of startups, and is there a role for leaders in Washington in addressing them? In what ways are tax code changes affecting the startup ecosystem?
On the heels of National Small Business Week, The Hill will gather key policymakers, small business owners, economists and entrepreneurs for a wide-ranging discussion on the state of entrepreneurship in 2018, and the types of policies and practices that can help startups thrive.
- Senator Ben Cardin (D-MD), Ranking Member, United States Senate Committee on Small Business and Entrepreneurship
- Bob Cusack, Editor-in-Chief, The Hill
- Erin Janklow, Founder and Chief Executive Officer, Entrada ESL
- Sylvan Lane, Finance Reporter, The Hill
- Linda McMahon, Administrator, United States Small Business Administration
- Jeff Reid, Founding Director, Georgetown Entrepreneurship Initiative and Professor of the Practice of Entrepreneurship, Georgetown University McDonough School of Business
- Javier Saade, Venture Partner, Fenway Summer Ventures
- Julia Taxin, Vice President, Grotech Ventures
- Susan Tynan, Founder and Chief Executive Officer, Framebridge
- Mark Walsh, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, FactSquared.com
- Deloris Wilson, Fellow, Inclusive Innovation, BEACON: The DC Women Founders Initiative
- Martin Mucci, President and CEO, Paychex, Inc. (Sponsor Perspective)
- Gene Marks, Small Business Columnist, The Washington Post (Sponsor Perspective)
Wednesday, May 9, 2018
8:00 AM | Guest Arrival & Networking Breakfast
8:30 AM | Program Begins
10:30 AM | Program Concludes
Knight Broadcast Studio
555 Pennsylvania Avenue NW
Washington, D.C. 20001
Follow @TheHillEvents and #SmallBizBigIdeas