Sponsored by: Eli Lilly and Company
Over 40% of American adults and about 20% of children are affected by obesity. This deadly epidemic hits Black and Hispanic adults disproportionately and often leads to type 2 diabetes, heart disease and other comorbidities.
How do we modernize health policy and practice to improve care for persons with obesity? What can be done to address weight bias and stigma? What type of gold standard treatment guidelines need to be implemented? And what can be done to invest in prevention of the disease?
Some progress has been made on Capitol Hill. There is bipartisan support in Congress for legislation which would improve access to behavioral therapy and include antiobesity medications in coverage for Medicare beneficiaries but it has not yet become law.
The Hill will host policymakers, doctors, and patient advocates for a comprehensive discussion on advancing obesity care for all patients.
Wednesday, October 20, 2021
1:00PM ET / 10:00AM PT
- Rep. Raul Ruiz, MD (D-CA), Co-Sponsor, Treat & Reduce Obesity Act
- Rep. Brad Wenstrup (R-OH), Co-Sponsor, Treat & Reduce Obesity Act
- Joseph Nadglowski, President & CEO, Obesity Action Coalition
- Dr. Kavita Patel, Nonresident Fellow, Brookings Institution; Primary Care Physician
- Fatima Cody Stanford, MD, MPA, MPH, Chair, Minority Affairs Section, American Medical Association
- Steve Clemons, Editor-at-Large, The Hill
Join the conversation! Tweet us: @TheHillEvents using #TheHillObesityCare
Lilly is a global healthcare leader that unites caring with discovery to make life better for people around the world. We were founded more than a century ago by a man committed to creating high-quality medicines that meet real needs, and today we remain true to that mission in all our work. Across the globe, Lilly employees work to discover and bring life-changing medicines to those who need them, improve the understanding and management of disease, and give back to communities through philanthropy and volunteerism. To learn more about Lilly, please visit us at lilly.comand lilly.com/newsroom.