Ex-ICE director calls for 'nationwide operation' to target asylum-seekers in US illegally

Retired Immigration Customs Enforcement (ICE) Director Tom Homan in an interview that aired Wednesday on "Rising" called for a nationwide operation to target asylum-seekers who have stayed in the U.S. illegally.

"I think we step up enforcement," Homan, who served under President TrumpDonald John TrumpEsper sidesteps question on whether he aligns more with Mattis or Trump Warren embraces Thiel label: 'Good' As tensions escalate, US must intensify pressure on Iran and the IAEA MORE from 2017 to 2018, told Hill.TV's Krystal Ball and Buck Sexton earlier this week. "We've got to remove the magnets that drive people here."

"Make it hard for somebody to get a job. That's one of the reasons why they're coming here," he continued. 

"I think ICE needs to get out there and do a nationwide operation of single adults and family units that have entered illegally, claimed asylum, had their due process and been ordered removed by a federal judge and chose not to leave, which is most of them," he said. 

The Trump administration has taken aim at asylum-seekers in an effort to reduce the number of people crossing the southern border illegally. 

Attorney General William BarrWilliam Pelham BarrThe Hill's Morning Report - Presented by JUUL Labs - House to vote to condemn Trump tweet House poised to hold Barr, Ross in contempt Harris campaign accepts money from partners of law firm she criticized over Epstein case MORE said in an order issued earlier this month that asylum-seekers who demonstrate a "credible fear" and are then sent to full deportation proceedings are not eligible to be released on bond.

Opponents of the move say it allows the courts to be used as a political mechanism by law enforcement. 

— Julia Manchester