Young Turks founder: Fifth Democratic debate could be 'last hurrah' for some 2020 Democrats

The founder and host of the left-leaning online show "The Young Turks" warned Wednesday that MSNBC’s Democratic debate could be the last chance for some 2020 contenders to gain momentum.

During an interview on Hill.TV, Cenk Uygur emphasized that the upcoming debate essentially narrows the field to four top-tier contenders: Former Vice President Joe BidenJoe BidenBiden: Buttigieg 'doesn't have significant black support even in his own city' Biden: 'I'd add' Warren to my list of potential VP picks How can top Democrats run the economy with no business skill? MORE, Sens. Bernie SandersBernie SandersHow can top Democrats run the economy with no business skill? Biden rallies with John Kerry in early primary states Buttigieg campaign says 2000 people attended Iowa rally MORE (I-Vt.) and Elizabeth WarrenElizabeth Ann WarrenBiden: 'I'd add' Warren to my list of potential VP picks Warren says she made almost M from legal work over past three decades How can top Democrats run the economy with no business skill? MORE (D-Mass.), and most recently, South Bend, Ind., Mayor Pete ButtigiegPeter (Pete) Paul ButtigiegBiden: Buttigieg 'doesn't have significant black support even in his own city' Warren says she made almost M from legal work over past three decades Biden rallies with John Kerry in early primary states MORE

“The other six — this is their last hurrah,” Uygur said, pointing to Sen. Amy KlobucharAmy Jean KlobucharBiden: All-white debate not representative of party, but 'you can't dictate' nominee Delaney to DNC: Open second debate stage for candidates who qualified for past events There's a lot to like about the Senate privacy bill, if it's not watered down MORE (D-Minn.) in particular. “They’ve got to do something, and I’m surprised some of them have hung on as long as they have.”

“But they’ve got to make a move right now; they’re totally out of time,” he added.

Uygur’s comments come ahead of the fifth Democratic debate in Atlanta.

Ten candidates will take the stage in Wednesday night’s MSNBC debate as part of the party’s 12 planned presidential primary debates.

For the first time in the election cycle, former Rep. Beto O’Rourke (D-Texas) and former Housing and Urban Development Secretary Julián Castro will not make the debate stage.

O’Rourke ended his presidential campaign earlier this month after failing to gain momentum in the crowded primary field.

Castro, meanwhile, failed to qualify for Wednesday’s debate.  

For November’s debate, candidates had to reach at least 165,000 unique donors and register at least 3 percent in four qualifying polls or 5 percent in two early-state polls.

—Tess Bonn