Analysts say Dems have strong upside in House races going into election

A pair of political analysts agreed Wednesday that Democrats appear to have more momentum heading into the midterm elections next week.

"I would not be surprised if the Democrats not only took the House, but took it by a fairly large margin," Ruy Teixeira, a senior fellow at the left-leaning Center for American Progress, told Hill.TV's Joe Concha on "What America's Thinking."

"In other words, there's more potential upside for the Democrats than there is potential downside," he said. "They could possibly get 40-45 seats. That would surprise me less than if they did not actually get the 23 seats to take back the House."

Democrats need to net 23 seats to regain control of the House.

Karlyn Bowman, a senior fellow at the right-leaning American Enterprise Institute, agreed that Democrats have reason to be enthusiastic but predicted the party will more narrowly win back the House.

"I think there is a big upside for the Democrats," she said. "I think it'll be much more in the range of 25 to 30 [seats] in the House."

Election forecaster FiveThirtyEight gives Democrats an 85.5 percent chance of gaining control of the House, while it gives Republicans a 14.5 percent chance of retaining control of the lower chamber.

Republicans are more bullish about maintaining or even expanding their majority in the Senate, where Democrats are defending 10 seats in states that President Trump won in 2016.

Democrats need to maintain their current number of seats and pick up two additional seats to win back a majority in the Senate. FiveThirtyEight gives Democrats just a 16 percent chance to win the upper chamber.

— Julia Manchester