Gingrich won’t accept Biden as president, says Democrats, Republicans ‘live in alternative worlds’
In an op-ed titled “Why I will not accept Joe Biden as president,” former House Speaker Newt Gingrich (R-Ga.) writes that his unwillingness to accept the election results rises from an outrage he says he previously hasn’t felt.
Gingrich wrote that he’d been asked by a “smart friend of mine” why he couldn’t accept Biden’s win over President Trump.
“As I thought about it, I realized my anger and fear were not narrowly focused on votes,” Gingrich wrote in an op-ed published Monday in The Washington Times. “My unwillingness to relax and accept that the election was over grew out of a level of outrage and alienation unlike anything I had experienced in more than 60 years involvement in public affairs.”
Gingrich also said the two parties and liberals and conservatives “live in alternative worlds.”
“You have more than 74 million voters who supported President Trump despite everything — and given the election mess, the number could easily be significantly higher. The truth is tens of millions of Americans are deeply alienated and angry,” Gingrich wrote. “If Mr. Biden governs from the left — and he will almost certainly be forced to — that number will grow rapidly, and we will win a massive election in 2022.”
Biden defeated Trump in the 2020 presidential election by more than 70 electoral votes and more than 7 million in the popular vote, winning the most votes ever in a presidential election.
Trump won the second most popular votes ever.
Gingrich has backed Trump’s efforts to challenge the election results and in the op-ed wrote he does not have “any interest in pretending that the current result is legitimate or honorable,” calling it a “final stroke of a four-year establishment-media power grab.”
There has been no evidence offered to support that the results of the election were unfair, however, and challenges brought by the Trump campaign and its allies have repeatedly been rejected in court, culminating in a pair of losses at the Supreme Court that now includes three Trump nominees.
The Hill has removed its comment section, as there are many other forums for readers to participate in the conversation. We invite you to join the discussion on Facebook and Twitter.