WH: 'Absolutely' no plan to deploy ground troops

President Obama remains "absolutely" committed to not putting boots on the ground in Iraq, White House press secretary Josh Earnest said Wednesday.

His comments came only a day after Secretary of State John KerryJohn Forbes KerryBiden leads CNN poll, but Harris, Sanders on the rise Beto is the poor man's Obama — Dems can do better Joe Biden could be a great president, but can he win? MORE asked lawmakers to allow for the possibility of deploying combat troops in a new authorization for using military force.

ADVERTISEMENT

Earnest said Kerry had made the request because it was "impossible for us to imagine all of the contingencies that could occur" in the battle against the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria (ISIS).

The administration, though, wants to preserve the possibility of carrying out targeted raids against terrorist targets and was not contemplating a return of ground troops to fight the terror network, Earnest added.

The White House spokesman noted that earlier this summer, Obama ordered special forces to go into Syria to try to rescue American hostages.

"If we were to include in the [authorization for use of military force] a provision banning the use of combat troops, the president’s hands would be tied, and he wouldn’t be able to order a mission like that," Earnest said. "And that is what we’re seeking to avoid."

The White House has asked Congress to overhaul existing legislation, passed in the aftermath of the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks, which allows the president to order action against al Qaeda and others responsible or in support.

Some lawmakers have questioned whether the legislation gives Obama authority to attack ISIS — which grew out of, but ultimately separated from al Qaeda. The president has previously said he wanted to repeal the post-9/11 authorities.