President Trump scrapped plans on Tuesday to sign an executive action launching a government-wide cybersecurity overhaul.
The White House did not immediately provide an explanation for the cancellation.
It was an abrupt about face after the White House spent all day Tuesday plugging its plans to boost the nation's offensive and defensive cyber capabilities.
Officials told reporters earlier in the day that Trump planned to order Cabinet officials to enhance their agencies’ cyber defenses and commission an administration-wide review to assess hacking risks.
Hours later, Trump convened a “listening session” with top White House, Cabinet and cybersecurity experts in the Roosevelt Room.
“I will hold my Cabinet secretaries and agency heads accountable, totally accountable for the cybersecurity of their organizations which we probably don’t have as much, certainly not as much as we need,” he said. “We must protect federal networks and data.”
Trump has set a frantic pace with executive action signings during his first days in power. But Tuesday marks the second time in less than a week the White House has scrapped the signing of an order.
The president was set to approve an order last Thursday moving ahead with a probe into his unsubstantiated voter fraud claims. That signing has not yet been rescheduled.