De Blasio: Trump's order is first step toward Muslim ban

De Blasio: Trump's order is first step toward Muslim ban
© Getty Images

New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio (D) said early Wednesday that he thinks President TrumpDonald John TrumpTrump: 'Haven't thought about' pardons for Mueller target Pence: Rocket attack 'proves that Hamas is not a partner for peace' Conservation remains a core conservative principle MORE's executive order on immigration is the first step toward a Muslim ban.

"I think it's the first step toward a ban. I think it's the first step toward a registry," de Blasio said on MSNBC's "Morning Joe."

"I don't say that out of paranoia. I say that because if you take everything that Donald Trump said on the campaign trail and treat it like he meant it ... I think it's really smart in political life to assume if someone says something out loud to the roar of the crowd, they just might mean it."

ADVERTISEMENT

De Blasio pointed to Trump's comments about a Muslim ban and creating a registry during the campaign.

"This is an obvious first step," he said.

"I think it had caused revulsion all over the country. I think a lot of people saw this and said, 'Wait a minute. We're putting older folks in detention, folks who are ill, children, permanent residents were in detention.' "

De Blasio said one of the things that bothered him most was that permanent residents were detained.

"How do you put a permanent resident of the United States in detention with no charge?" he asked. "That's fundamentally against our values."

Trump's executive order, signed last week, temporarily bars refugees and people from seven predominately Muslim countries from entering the U.S. The order was met with backlash from many lawmakers, though the president and his team have denied it amounts to a Muslim ban.