Federal judge says court proceedings will continue on Trump’s travel ban

A federal judge in Seattle says district court proceedings on President Trump’s travel ban will continue, even as an appeals court weighs whether to rehear the case, according to Reuters.

U.S. District Judge James Robart ordered both sides in the legal battle to continue on Monday and reportedly expressed surprise that the White House had even requested a delay since Trump declared  “SEE YOU IN COURT” on Twitter last week.


Trump came under fire earlier this month for labeling Robart — who had put Trump’s travel ban on a temporary hold while the legal case against it proceeds — a “so-called judge" and accusing the courts of being politically motivated.

The Trump administration asked Robart earlier on Monday to postpone the district court case until the San Francisco-based 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals decides whether to rehear a three-judge panel’s decision last Thursday to keep the immigration policy on ice.

ADVERTISEMENT

An unknown 9th Circuit judge requested Friday that the entire appeals court vote on whether to rehear the case through “en banc” review. That process would task an 11-judge panel to review the case and could result in another hearing. A majority of the active judges would need to agree to review the case.

There were mixed signals on Friday about whether the White House would appeal to the Supreme Court or defend the policy on its merits in district court in Seattle.

Trump has also hinted that he may be signing a “brand new” executive order this week, though he continued to say that the administration would fight for the policy in district court.

The executive order under question bans people from Iran, Iraq, Syria, Yemen, Sudan, Libya and Somalia from entering the U.S. for 90 days, suspends refugee resettlement for 120 days and indefinitely suspends resettlement for Syrian refugees.