The White House on Monday pushed back against an explosive new report that President Trump disclosed classified information in a meeting with top Russian dignitaries.
"This story is false. The president only discussed the common threats that both countries faced," Deputy National Security Adviser Dina Powell said in a statement circulated by the White House.
“The president and the foreign minister reviewed common threats from terrorist organizations to include threats to aviation,” added H.R. McMaster, the national security adviser, who participated in the meeting. “At no time were any intelligence sources or methods discussed and no military operations were disclosed that were not already known publicly.”
The Washington Post broke the news Monday evening that Trump had revealed highly classified intelligence information to the Russian foreign minister and ambassador while meeting with them last week at the White House,
Current and former U.S. officials told the Post that Trump relayed information from a critical source of intelligence on the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria.
The information was provided by a U.S. partner through an intelligence-sharing arrangement. The partner did not give the United States permission to share the information with Russia.
“During President Trump’s meeting with Foreign Minister Lavrov a broad range of subjects were discussed among which were common efforts and threats regarding counter-terrorism. During that exchange the nature of specific threats were discussed, but they did not discuss sources, methods or military operations,”
Secretary of State Rex W. TIllerson added in a statement Monday evening.