White House silent after Comey memo bombshell

White House silent after Comey memo bombshell
© Getty

The White House has remained virtually silent in the wake of a bombshell report that President Trump pressured then-FBI Director James Comey in February to drop his probe of Michael Flynn, Trump's former national security adviser.

Aside from an unsigned statement Tuesday night denying The New York Times report, no officials have spoken publicly about the allegations, which have shaken the White House to its foundation.

White House press secretary Sean Spicer did not take questions from reporters aboard Air Force One Wednesday morning, as scheduled.

Officials at the White House said he plans to brief reporters on the way back from the U.S. Coast Guard Academy, where Trump is scheduled to deliver a commencement address.

ADVERTISEMENT

Trump did not speak to reporters aboard the presidential aircraft, and he has not tweeted about he report, as he has done in response to stories about his firing of Comey last week and his alleged disclosure of highly classified information to Russian diplomats at a White House meeting last week.

Those tweets undercut official explanations of both reports that were previously given by White House aides.

Charlie Rose, the host of “CBS This Morning,” said the White House turned down an invitation for officials to appear on the show.