Conway's husband defends criticism of Trump tweets

Conway's husband defends criticism of Trump tweets
© Greg Nash

Kellyanne Conway's husband on Monday defended his criticism of President Trump's tweets earlier in the day about his executive order on travel.

In a series of tweets, George Conway explained he is still strongly in support of Trump. But he voiced concern that the president's tweets about legal matters could undermine the administration's agenda.

"1) Just to be clear, and in response to inquiries, I still VERY, VERY STRONGLY support POTUS, his Admin, policies, the executive order...and of course, my wonderful wife," Conway said in a series of tweets Monday.

"Which is why I said what I said this morning," he continued.
 
"Every sensible lawyer in WHCO and every political ... appointee at DOJ wd agree with me (as some have already told me)."
 
ADVERTISEMENT
Conway further stressed the point that tweets on legal matters "seriously undermine Admin agenda and POTUS."
 
"And those who support him, as I do, need to reinforce that pt and not be shy about it," he tweeted. 

Earlier in the day, Conway tweeted: "These tweets may make some ppl feel better, but they certainly won't help OSG get 5 votes in SCOTUS, which is what actually matters. Sad."

Conway's tweet comes after Trump took to Twitter on Sunday and Monday in the wake of an attack in London that killed at least seven people. Trump referred to his executive order as a "travel ban" and accused courts of politicizing it.

In a series of early-morning tweets on Monday, Trump called on the Justice Department to "seek an expedited hearing on the watered down Travel Ban before the Supreme Court" while working on a "much tougher version in the meantime."

“The Justice Dept. should have stayed with the original Travel Ban, not the watered down, politically correct version they submitted to S.C.,” the president tweeted.

Legal experts say Trump's call for a tougher version of his immigration executive order could undermine his administration's efforts to reinstate the controversial policy. 

It was reported last week that Conway had withdrawn his name from consideration for a role in the Justice Department's Civil Division.

The position at the Justice Department would have been responsible for defending Trump’s executive order on immigration.