SPONSORED:

Pence responds to Trump Jr. emails: He's 'not focused on stories about the campaign'

Pence responds to Trump Jr. emails: He's 'not focused on stories about the campaign'
© Greg Nash

Vice President Pence's spokesman said Tuesday that the vice president is not focusing on stories surrounding President TrumpDonald TrumpRomney blasts end of filibuster, expansion of SCOTUS McConnell, GOP slam Biden's executive order on SCOTUS US raises concerns about Iran's seriousness in nuclear talks MORE's campaign.

His comments come after new details emerged regarding Donald Trump Jr.'s meeting last year with a Russian lawyer.

"The Vice President is working every day to advance the president's agenda, which is what the American people sent us here to do," press secretary Marc Lotter said in a statement.

"The Vice President was not aware of the meeting. He is not focused on stories about the campaign, particularly stories about the time before he joined the ticket."

ADVERTISEMENT

President Trump announced in July last year his decision for Pence to serve as his running mate.

The meeting between Trump Jr. and a Russian lawyer took place on June 9, 2016.

The statement from Pence's press secretary comes after Trump Jr. on Tuesday released a chain of emails ahead of a New York Times story. The emails reveal his conversations about setting up the meeting with a Russian lawyer offering compromising information on Hillary ClintonHillary Diane Rodham ClintonPelosi planned on retiring until Trump won election: report Pence autobiography coming from Simon & Schuster Amanda Gorman makes the cover of Vogue MORE.

The release came after The New York Times reported Trump Jr. was told before the meeting that the harmful information on Clinton was part of a Russian government effort to help his father’s presidential campaign.