Trump promises Cuomo, de Blasio full support after NYC attack

Trump promises Cuomo, de Blasio full support after NYC attack
© Getty Images

President TrumpDonald John TrumpPentagon update to missile defense doctrine will explore space-base technologies, lasers to counter threats Giuliani: 'I never said there was no collusion' between the Trump campaign and Russia Former congressmen, RNC members appointed to Trump administration roles MORE on Wednesday said he called New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo (D) and New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio (D) following a deadly attack in New York City.

“Just spoke with @NYGovCuomo and @NYCMayor de Blasio to let them know that the federal government... ...fully supports any and all of their efforts with respect to the West Side attack. #NYCStrong,” Trump wrote in two tweets.

ADVERTISEMENT

Trump called the New York lawmakers after both had said at a press conference earlier in the day that the president had not reached out following the truck attack that left eight people dead in lower Manhattan. 

De Blasio said he received calls from Trump’s Homeland Security adviser, Tom Bossert, and Department of Homeland Security Secretary Elaine Duke.

The White House also confirmed during the Wednesday press briefing that Trump called the mayor and the governor.

The suspect in the attack, 29 year-old Sayfullo Saipov, has been taken into custody.

The New York Police Department's (NYPD) deputy commissioner for intelligence and counter-terrorism, John Miller, said in a Wednesday press briefing that the alleged attacker committed the act “in the name of” the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria.