Trump allies worried about political costs of attacking his accusers: report

Trump allies worried about political costs of attacking his accusers: report
© Getty Images

Associates close to President TrumpDonald John TrumpMeet the lawyer Democrats call when it's recount time Avenatti denies domestic violence allegations: 'I have never struck a woman' Trump names handbag designer as ambassador to South Africa MORE are worried that an increased national focus on sexual misconduct could be risky territory for the president as he continues to deny accusations of such behavior made against him.

The Washington Post reports that some Trump aides and advisers view the current national conversation about sexual harassment and assault as a public relations issue for the White House that Trump risks inflaming.

The administration responded to a Monday news conference by three of Trump's accusers by pushing out talking points saying the women's claims are not true.

ADVERTISEMENT

"An aide who worked on the campaign and was familiar with the allegations circulated counterpoints from last year and later pointed out small inconsistencies between some of the women’s previous statements and what they said on Monday," the Post reports.

Allegations against Trump spilled into the headlines last year after the now infamous "Access Hollywood" tape leaked, in which Trump is heard talking about groping and kissing women without consent. Similar accusations have cost several prominent men their jobs in the past few weeks, including Harvey Weinstein, Charlie Rose and Matt Lauer.

The White House continues to deny the allegations against the president and stated that the American people judged the veracity of Trump's accusers at the ballot box.

“These false claims, totally disputed in most cases by eyewitness accounts, were addressed at length during last year’s campaign, and the American people voiced their judgment by delivering a decisive victory,” the White House said in a statement Monday. “The timing and absurdity of these false claims speaks volumes, and the publicity tour that has begun only further confirms the political motives behind them.”

“The president has addressed these accusations directly and denied all of these accusations," added White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders.

“As the president said himself, he thinks it’s a good thing that women are coming forward,” she continued. “But he also feels strongly that a mere allegation shouldn’t determine the course.”

Trump himself also addressed the controversy in an early-morning tweet Tuesday.

“Despite thousands of hours wasted and many millions of dollars spent, the Democrats have been unable to show any collusion with Russia — so now they are moving on to the false accusations and fabricated stories of women who I don’t know and/or have never met. FAKE NEWS!” the president wrote on Twitter.