US condemns deadly Kabul attack

US condemns deadly Kabul attack
© Getty Images

The U.S. on Saturday condemned a bombing on a busy Afghan street that killed at least 95 people and injured dozens more.

President TrumpDonald John TrumpMcCabe says he was fired because he 'opened a case against' Trump McCabe: Trump said 'I don't care, I believe Putin' when confronted with US intel on North Korea McCabe: Trump talked to me about his election victory during 'bizarre' job interview MORE said that the "despicable" and "murderous attack" only "renews our resolve and that of our Afghan partners. The Taliban’s cruelty will not prevail."

"The United States is committed to a secure Afghanistan that is free from terrorists who would target Americans, our allies, and anyone who does not share their wicked ideology. Now, all countries should take decisive action against the Taliban and the terrorist infrastructure that supports them," Trump said in a statement released by the White House.

ADVERTISEMENT

Secretary of State Rex TillersonRex Wayne TillersonHeather Nauert withdraws her name from consideration for UN ambassador job Trump administration’s top European diplomat to resign in February Pompeo planning to meet with Pat Roberts amid 2020 Senate speculation MORE also issued a statement condemning the attack and expressing support for the victims of the "senseless attack."

"We condemn today's cowardly bombing in Kabul and those who perpetrated it. Our thoughts are with the victims and their families, and we stand with the brave people of #Afghanistan," State Department spokeswoman Heather Nauert wrote earlier on Twitter.

The Taliban claimed responsibility for the attack. It took place on a busy street lined with old government buildings after the suspected attacker passed a security checkpoint and tried to evade another.

“Police stopped the vehicle at the second checkpoint,” Baseer Mujahid, a police spokesman, told The New York Times. “Then he tried to drive in from the wrong lane. Again, the police tried to stop him. But he detonated the explosive-laden vehicle.”

Tillerson also condemned the Taliban's use of an ambulance in the attack. 

"The Taliban's use of an ambulance as a weapon to target civilians represents inhumane disregard for the people of Afghanistan and all those working to bring peace to the country, and is a violation of the most basic international norms," he continued in the statement.

"All countries who support peace in Afghanistan have an obligation to take decisive action to stop the Taliban's campaign of violence," he said. "There can be no tolerance for those who support or offer sanctuary to terrorist groups. The United States stands with the people of Afghanistan, and we remain firmly committed to supporting the Afghan people’s efforts to achieve peace, security, and prosperity for their country."

The Trump administration is currently deciding whether to increase the amount of U.S. troops in Afghanistan amid new security threats. The total number of U.S. troops in the country has risen under Trump from 8,500 to 14,000.

Saturday's attack came just days after Taliban militants killed four Americans and more than 20 others in a hotel attack in Kabul.

Updated at 4:55 p.m.