National security adviser H.R. McMaster could be the next member of the Trump administration to exit the White House after weeks of tensions with the president, CNN reported Thursday.
A handful of defense and administration officials told the network that a search is being conducted at the Pentagon for an appropriate military position for McMaster, allowing the three-star general to return to the Defense Department.
The officials told CNN that the White House and Defense Department are specifically looking for a position that would recognize McMaster's service and allow him to receive his fourth star.
But some defense officials cautioned that McMaster's proximity to Trump has politicized his public image, which could force him into an early retirement rather than a Pentagon position.
McMaster shot down rumors in January that he was considering leaving the White House, calling it "a tremendous honor to do this job every day.”
“I have a job and it is my intention to go as long and hard as I can in service of the president and the nation," McMaster told reporters last month.
The three-star general joined the White House last year, replacing Michael Flynn as national security adviser and making changes to the Trump national security team that alienated close Trump allies such as former chief strategist Stephen Bannon. According to reports, McMaster's tendency to subtly correct his boss during meetings has led to confrontations between Trump and his aide.
The White House did not respond to CNN's request for comment for the story, but on Tuesday White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders said Trump "still has confidence in Gen. McMaster."